Monday 19 March 2012

My Space Monday

Each week we will share with you an insight into our wonderful artists world and show you their workspaces.
This week it's Sophie Wilson.

1. Where is this work space that you call home? 
 
Whilst studying at University (I'm currently in my second year on the Graphic Design degree at Leeds College of Art)- work space can be found in both my home and Uni studio, but home is definitely where I work best (sorry, tutors!). Although in my second year, I'm still living in halls (an active decision... though I'll be moving into my first student house in July, exciting times!), and whilst it's pretty beige, it does have it's good points (never having to design in the cold, really close to Uni and the city centre...lots of pluses!). So, for now, my workspace and studio is my bedroom too. I'm looking forward to the day until I can have a clear division for work and life. Though it has to be said, sometimes, to an extent, I think work really is my life- and it's the love for it that keeps me going. 



2. What makes this space perfect for a working environment for you?

The convenience of my studio as my permanent living space is, of course, ideal! And the fact that if the workload all gets a bit too much, my bed is less than a metre away! At home, I feel my most relaxed, and I find that's ideal to my way of working. I don't feel as though I design very well if I'm wearing shoes (don't ask me why!).



3. What object in your workspace could you not live without? Why?

My MacBook!
Seriously the best investment I have ever made, and it now houses my life! Until last year I relied upon a desktop PC... it got me by, but now I just couldn't go back. I'm looking to hopefully get an iMac when I graduate (for the screen!) so I can work as effectively and professionally as possible.

4. Explain to us a typical day in your work space.

My usual workday (five/six days a week) involves getting up around 6:30, checking my emails and packaging up any online sales for the day before heading off to Uni for 08:30 until around 5PM. After an hour of doodling, general pottering and the like, I start work again around 7PM until 1- working on University work as well as freelance projects, before having a few hours sleep before it starts all over again. Auto pilot mode, forever!

5. If there was a fire in the building, what would be the 3 items/objects that you would instantly grab?
Aside from personal, more sentimental objects and possessions I have- letters and gifts from my boyfriend, as well as trinkets and mementos that I have collected throughout my life, I would probably pick quite reasoned and work-orientated objects... my Mac, my Graphics Tablet (another one of my best buys!) and my "favourite book collection" which sits on my shelf- the Adrian Mole series, 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being', 'The Importance of being Earnest', and 'Persepolis'. I've loved reading ever since I was young, and these are the books I return to time and time again and evoke such memories and joy. Although they aren't valuable in terms of monetary value, they're some of my most prized possessions. 
 


6. Any tips on maintaining a work space and how to ensure a productive day in the studio?
Two things are essential in my life for a productive day- a clear space and a cup of tea! I think working in mess and clutter makes for, in my case anyway, a cluttered mind- trying to keep things as clear and minimal as possible is always the way to go to ensure I get the work done! And to have the inspiration of others around you, of course- I like to make sure I have gorgeous work around me- to make me happy, and, therefore, have a positive influence on my work (on my noticeboard I have designs by the fantastically talented Robbie Porter and Audrey Malo). But most importantly, a good brew! Frankly, if there's not a cup of tea on the desk, you've probably walked into the wrong room!




Sophie is such a young, determined talent. Here at Nook & Cranny we remember halls well, however, we seem to remember day time T.V and afternoon naps. Sophie is so driven, we just know that this young lady will go very far.

No comments:

Post a Comment